Improving the Pennsylvania Youth Survey (PAYS)
The Justice Center was sought out to make updates and improvements to this survey of school students conducted by the PA Commission on Crime and Delinquency. The survey layout was improved and a three-form survey design was incorporated to boost the response rate.
- Principal Investigator: Rose Baker, Ph.D., College of Education (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Doris MacKenzie, Ph.D.
About the Project
- Survey of school students in 6th, 8th, 10th, and 12th grades conducted every 2 years by PA Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PCCD).
- Justice Center was sought out to make updates and improvements to survey.
- How can response rate be improved for certain questions?
- What changes can be made to help students complete the survey faster?
- Changes include using a three-form survey design so that all questions will be answered by a more even number of respondents.
- Survey layout was changed to improve readability and speed of completion. Also, new questions have been added to help local organizations meet the requirements of funding agencies.
- Rose Baker was asked to oversee the next implementation of the survey.