The Administration of the Death Penalty in Pennsylvania
Researchers are investigating racial disparity in death penalty sentencing in all death-eligible cases in Pennsylvania during the time period 1998-2010.
- Principal Investigator: Jeffrey Ulmer, Ph.D., Department of Sociology & Criminology (email@example.com)
- Co-Investigator: Gary Zajac, Ph.D.
- Project Consultant: John Kramer, Ph.D., Department of Sociology & Criminology- Emeritus
- Research Assistant: Edward Hayes, M.A., Robert Hutchison, M.A.
About the Project
- Funded by the PA Supreme Court’s Interbranch Commission on Gender, Racial, and Ethnic Fairness and the Falk Foundation.
- Is there racial disparity in death penalty sentencing in PA?
- Identify all death eligible cases in PA during the time period 1998-2010.
- Analyze the role that race plays relative to other variables in determining death penalty sentencing.
- Currently in the data analysis phase.
- Results will inform public debate on the controversial topic of the death penalty.